Think about all the times you have had the need or desire for water today. For showering and bathing, for cooking and cleaning, for washing hands and clothes, for flushing the toilet. Think about the sprinkler systems you see, drinking fountains in offices and public spaces, and the myriad other ways we use water. In all of these instances, a plumber has been utilized in the installation and maintenance at some point. The plumbing profession is a great career choice for many reasons. If you have been thinking about learning a trade, or changing careers, there are some pretty compelling reasons to consider plumbing! Plumbers in Charlotte have ample opportunities in the plumbing field! Here at AAA City Plumbing, we are excited to share the benefits of the plumbing trade with you!
Why Would Somebody Become A Plumber?
There are plenty of good reasons to choose the profession of plumber! Here are just some of the reasons to examine:
- High paying – as far as contracting jobs go, plumbers are some of the highest paying ones. After apprenticeship, plumbers can make between $20 and $30 per hour depending on their location. Plumbers with experience can even make up to $40 an hour in some locations. Really it’s about experience and where you choose to work, but the pay is competitive with other skilled labor/contracting jobs.
- Job security – this is a real concern for many Americans, and for good reason. With many jobs being sent overseas or automated, if you are a plumber you can count on work. People will always need plumbing work done and it can’t be automated or done from a computer. Although technology definitely can help plumbers these days, a plumber is still necessary to be in person at the job site, we will always need them!
- Work anywhere in the country – another benefit! If you want to change locations, you will always be able to find work. Plumbers are needed in every region and locale. Plumbers in Charlotte have work to do in the city and the suburbs as well as in rural regions. So wherever you choose to live or relocate to, chances are you will be able to find work fairly quickly. Our own professional plumbers at AAA City Plumbing work in the Charlotte and Rock Hill areas in both residential and business properties. So if you choose to be a plumber, your services will be needed in a variety of situations.
- Job diversification – if you are worried that you won’t want to repair toilets all day long, you don’t have to worry. Plumbers do much more than commodes! Some plumber specialize in farm or rural applications, some design plumbing systems for new commercial or residential construction, some work for state and city governments, some prefer to do basic home plumbing. Really, there are so many different kinds of plumbing jobs, you could choose from many and find some you really like.
- Opportunity to work for yourself – once you have gained experience you can easily work for yourself and have flexibility to choose when you work and how much. For some plumbers, this is the goal, to be independent and be your own boss.
These are just some of the main reasons to think about a career in plumbing. Plumbers in Charlotte have many career opportunities to choose from! AAA City Plumbing encourages you to look into plumbing as a viable career!
How Does One Become A Plumber?
The path to becoming a plumber does take some work and some school. You won’t spend a fortune or have to take out exorbitant amounts of student loans, however. Most states have several tech schools or community colleges with plumbing trade school courses and programs. Most plumbing jobs require the following:
- High school diploma, GED, or equivalent – Having a solid understanding of algebra, geometry, systems of measure and biology will be extremely useful.
- Vocational/technical training – Again, these will be available at many trade schools, tech schools, or community colleges. How many classroom hours or courses you will need to get licensed will depend on the state you are going to school in. You will study many topics, including plumbing codes, pipe cutting and soldering, basic electrical systems, and more.
- Completion of an apprenticeship program – These can take up to 5 years to complete, but you will be getting paid and learning valuable on the job training.
- Licensing – Some places will requires a certain amount of experience and a test to become licensed, it all depends on where you live. Once you are licensed, however, the sky’s the limit as far as what you can do and how much work you want.
Other than these necessary steps, it is important to note that you will also want to have a clean record as far as driving, most plumbers will need a valid driver’s license to get themselves and their equipment to a job site. So carefully consider that. Also, may plumbers are bonded and insured, and this will be more difficult if you have a criminal record. AAA City Plumbing is proud to employ experienced, professional and skilled plumbers in Charlotte. Our plumbers in Charlotte are also pretty friendly, so a good attitude helps a lot.
How Much Can Plumbers Expect To Earn?
How much you can earn as a plumber varies depending on where you live, how much experience you have, and what kinds of jobs you do. On average, plumbers in the US earn from $20 – $40 per hour. If you work for yourself it could be even more. Many companies provide benefits as well, so it’s a pretty solid career choice, even in times of economic uncertainty. We hope this gives you some ideas to think about if you are looking into a career in plumbing. At AAA City Plumbing, we think it’s a great way to go!